Rescue workers and local youths are frantically digging through the heavy concrete blocks to reach the screaming victims who remain stuck under the collapsed three-storey building. Medical teams at a nearby hospital in Oko are currently treating several survivors who escaped the wreckage with varying degrees of injuries. An eyewitness who identified herself as Ifeoma told our correspondent that the structure gave way within a few seconds after a terrifying sound echoed through the neighborhood.
“We heard a very loud noise before the building collapsed, and the noise attracted many residents and students who rushed to the scene to see what had happened,” she said. The joint rescue operation includes personnel from the Anambra Police Command, the Fire Service, and the State Emergency Management Agency.
The tragic Oko Poly lodge collapse left dozens of students trapped beneath the debris in Amokpala early Monday morning. Emergency responders arrived quickly. The sudden collapse of the three-storey Elite Five Star Lodge beside Tonimas Filling Station on Sunday night triggered massive panic among the academic community of Orumba North Local Government Area.
“The police-led joint security team immediately mobilised to the scene, secured the area to prevent looting, and coordinated emergency response efforts to save lives.”
The privately operated hostel housed dozens of undergraduates despite the polytechnic not being in a full academic session at the moment. Furthermore, investigators are already checking the structural integrity of neighboring buildings that share boundaries within the Nwagu village axis near the permanent site. The Fire Service deployed heavy lifting equipment at exactly 1:30 a.m. on July 27, 2026, to accelerate the delicate debris-clearing process.
The state government previously warned property developers against using substandard construction materials in student residential areas across the region to maximize profit. Consequently, the Ministry of Housing plans to conduct strict integrity tests on all private student accommodation facilities within Orumba North to prevent future occurrences.
- Rapid deployment of emergency excavators from the state capital to clear the massive debris blocking the main entrance.
- Immediate evacuation of all injured students to specialized medical centers within the Oko community for urgent treatment.
- Structural integrity assessments of two adjacent hostel buildings showing visible foundation cracks due to the impact.
- Temporary relocation arrangements for displaced student tenants ahead of the upcoming torrential rainstorms.
- Comprehensive listing of all registered occupants to help families identify missing relatives quickly.
Anambra officials are preparing a comprehensive manifest of all verified tenants to account for missing individuals as day turns into night. Meanwhile, nervous parents are arriving at the disaster scene from various parts of southeastern Nigeria to look for their children who lived off-campus.
The school management will issue an official statement once the rescue teams conclude their primary sweep of the subterranean foundation layers. Will this devastating disaster finally force municipal authorities to enforce rigorous building regulations on greedy private developers who exploit vulnerable student populations?











