The jailed leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, formally terminated the services of his longtime personal lawyer, Barrister Ifeanyi Ejiofor, from prison this July. This decisive development strips the prominent attorney of all legal authority. Consequently, the attorney must immediately cease handling all court matters concerning the family and the separatist group.
The separation marks the final collapse of a heavy, decade-long legal relationship that defined the high-stakes secessionist trials in Nigeria. In a formal letter written from the Sokoto Correctional Centre, the detained leader declared that the lawyer no longer possesses any express or implied authority to speak for the movement. This radical decision effectively dismantles the original operational structure established during the initial arrest back in 2015. Consequently, the legal team must now reorganize its entire hierarchy before the next scheduled court appearance.
- Absolute withdrawal of all express, implied, or ostensible authority to speak or act on behalf of the separatist group.
- Direct orders prohibiting the publication of any social media updates or media interviews regarding the family’s welfare.
- Strict enforcement of Section II, Subsection A of the internal code governing the dismissal of principal officers.
- Total handover of all pending litigation documents to the newly designated appellate defense team within seven days.
The separatist leader explained in his written message that the decision merely provides a formal written confirmation of a prior verbal termination agreement. Furthermore, the explicit directive orders the lawyer to completely stop issuing any public statements or granting press interviews on behalf of the organization. Another close associate, Mr. Chidi Okechukwu, told our correspondent that the sudden change became inevitable to protect the movement’s legal integrity. “The leadership decided to formalize the disengagement to prevent overlapping pronouncements that often confuse the public and complicate ongoing appeals,” he said. This administrative purge signals a complete shift in the group’s litigation strategy ahead of the upcoming judicial sessions.
This sudden absolute dismissal follows the historical life imprisonment sentence handed down to the secessionist leader by a Federal High Court in Abuja on November 20, 2025. The court convicted the controversial figure on seven distinct terrorism-related charges after a turbulent, multi-year legal battle. Following that devastating conviction, severe internal recriminations tore through the defense team as various factions blamed each other for failing to secure an acquittal. In fact, Ejiofor had previously stepped back from active lead representation in December 2024 before this final, total revocation of his operational mandate. Now, the new legal coordinators are aggressively preparing fresh appellate briefs to challenge the federal judgment before the supreme judicial authorities.
“The power to appoint, suspend or dismiss principal officers rests exclusively with the IPOB leader unless expressly delegated.”
A formal administrative transition will now take place as the new legal counselors take full control of the pending appellate strategies. Meanwhile, the federal authorities maintain tight custody of the prominent detainee at the highly fortified correctional facility. Legal experts across the country are watching closely to see how this sudden leadership shakeup will influence the upcoming Supreme Court hearings. Will this radical restructuring of the defense team finally pave the way for a political resolution, or will it further prolong the complex legal gridlock?
•










